Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad (Oi muchim) is a refreshing banchan that only requires a few ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to make! It’s super simple, and is a healthy addition to any meal.
1. Slice ½ of a seedless cucumber into bite size pieces
2. (optional step) Add salt to the cucumber and wait for it to sweat out the water
3. Make the marinade by mixing the following ingredients:
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Korean chilli flakes (I usually add 1 tablespoon to make it extra spicy)
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- 1 green onion
4. Add the cucumbers to the marinade and mix, coating the cucumbers well
5. Top with some extra sesame seeds if you’d like, and enjoy!
To keep the side dish from being soggy, be sure to sweat the cucumbers before adding the marinade, although this step is optional (it will taste great regardless). Using 1 teaspoon of chili flakes will create a relatively mild flavor, so add more chili flakes if you like things spicier!
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: Spicy Korean Cucumber Side Dish for One